The Best Mattress Topper Reviews 2016
Welcome! You’re probably on this website because you’re looking for tips on how to pick the right mattress topper. You understand that it’s a crucial component for a comfortable sleep.
Getting enough sleep regularly is important for our cognitive function, emotional well-being, and physical health. When we don’t get a good night’s rest, we may end up with aches and pains, we feel groggy and mentally fuzzy, and we’re grumpy in the morning. We simply feel better when we sleep soundly through the night.
On this website we have a treasure trove of information that will help you pick the right one for your needs. We not only have tips and guides, but we also have product reviews that you can read so that you’ll know the pros and cons of each product that you are thinking of buying.
What Is a Mattress Topper and How Does It Help?
A mattress topper is just like what its name implies. It’s an extra layer of padding that you put on top of your mattress. Owning one offers several benefits:
- With the right mattress topper, you can sleep better at night. These toppers offer an extra layer of softness that helps you feel much better and much more comfortable. It can give you the right kind of support so that you don’t end up waking up with lots of body aches and joint pains. It also covers up all the indentations and sagging that you find on your mattress. A topper is easier to turn and rotate so you don’t end up sleeping on the same spots every night.
- Mattress toppers are not as expensive as actual mattresses, so you won’t have to spend more money to improve your sleeping mattress. So buying one makes much more sense, especially if the mattress you have is fairly new. What’s more, the topper can also extend the shelf life of your current mattress, so that you won’t have to spend on a new mattress anytime soon. It’s the layer that absorbs your weight the most, so you may just have to replace it in a few years, rather than having to spend far more on replacing your original mattress.
- It protects your mattress from your perspiration, spills, and dead skin. If you’ve tried to clean your mattress at least once, you know it’s not exactly easy! But you can clean your mattress topper along with your beddings. This is especially true if you get a waterproof mattress topper. But even one that’s not waterproof can absorb the spills before it reaches your mattress. And a mattress is easier to remove and wash, or even to replace.
The Best Mattress Toppers
Of course, all these benefits depend greatly on which mattress cover you buy. And there’s no single one that’s right for everyone. One that’s too soft for someone may be too firm for another. But the following examples are all of excellent quality, so you can start your search for a great mattress topper by looking them over.
- Dreamfoam Bedding Ultimate Dreams Talalay Latex. This offers an additional 3 inches for your mattress, and the latex foam conforms to your body to offer you greater comfort. It offers 33% greater pressure relief compared to other types of foam bedding. It’s even 4 times more breathable than memory foam, polyurethane, or Dunlop process latex so that you won’t end up drenched in sweat during the summer. If you’re concerned about the environment, you’ll be pleased to note that the latex is made from bamboo.
It offers 3 different options when it comes to firmness so you can choose the option that fits your preferences. It’s also available for 7 sizes of mattresses, from Short Queen and Twin to King and “California King”.
Most customers described the Ultimate Dreams mattress topper in superlative terms, as it earned a 4.6-star average rating on Amazon based on more than 200 reviews. Many had words of praise for the comfort it brought them, while others also reported that they woke up in the morning with surprisingly no aches and pains like they had before. It also felt cool during the night, and for many older people this is a crucial factor.
Very few customers have anything bad to say about this latex topper. However, one did mention that the smell wasn’t as nice as the scent of pure latex. It does go away after airing it for a whole day so that you won’t smell it under the sheets. The customer recommended airing it with the reverse side up, and also mentioned that using Febreze will help.
- Ultimate Sleep 3-Inch Natural Latex Foam. It’s available for 6 different mattress sizes, and it’s also available in other weights and thicknesses. However, the medium-soft of the Ultimate Sleep is the most popular among buyers.
This is an excellent alternative for those who are looking for other options besides memory foam latex. Unlike other mattress toppers which contain some synthetic materials, the Ultimate Sleep is made from certified 100% natural latex. It’s naturally hypoallergenic, so this is a great topper for those whose sleep is bothered by allergic reactions to the dust mites in their original mattress.
The customer support is also excellent, and if you wish to return it to the manufacturer it doesn’t have to be in its brand new condition.
The Ultimate Sleep is another highly regarded 'Best Buy' on Amazon, having earned a 4.6-star average rating from buyers. Even side sleepers were amazed at the comfort it brought them, and many were astonished to wake up without their usual morning aches.
A reviewer did notice that it will tear if you drag it on the floor. It’s for that reason there’s a warning on the box that you’re not supposed to open the package with a sharp object.
- Millsave 5" Queen Goose Down Mattress Topper Featherbed. This isn’t made of latex, so it’s much more affordable. It’s made from 5% goose down and the rest is made from goose feathers. It comes with a 300 thread count and 550 fill power.
It’s absolutely ideal for those who mistakenly bought a very firm bed mattress. With this you get a much softer sleeping surface, and you also extend the lifespan of your old mattress as well. It’s very easy to use, and there’s no need for straps or skirting. You just put it on top of your old mattress and then you use a fitted bed sheet to keep it in place.
Many reviewers marveled at the softness. They berated themselves for not buying such a comfy mattress sooner, because they didn’t realize that a mattress can be so soft and comfortable. And those who usually wake up with body aches and joint pains admitted that they woke up in the morning pain-free. They also reported the manufacturer’s customer service answered all emailed questions promptly. Even the delivery of the mattress topper was very quick.
However, quite a few reported that the extensive use of goose feathers resulted in some of them poking through. One recommended the use of a mattress protector to eliminate this problem, and this also gives the additional benefit of protecting the mattress topper from stains and odors.
- Sweet Jojo Designs White Goose Feather and Down Baffle Box Featherbed Mattress Top. This is just 2 inches thick, but if you have an overly firm mattress, it may just be the thing you need to truly improve your sleep comfort level. It offers a 100% cotton cover, 240-thread count, and a 5% goose down to 95% goose feather ratio. The fill is treated with antibacterial so you won’t have to worry about mildew, mold, and fungus. It’s available for Twin and Queen-size mattresses.
Many find this topper more than adequate for their comfort, and some have really loved it especially for how it eliminated morning aches. They recommended that you just keep a fitted sheet over it and you should flip it every week. On Amazon, this has received an average rating of 4.2 stars. Quite a few like its price too, as you can get if for less than $80. With so many mattress toppers costing hundreds of dollars, a price like this is definitely a bargain. It’s not as if it doesn’t provide a lot of comfort, because reviewers use the same complimentary terms that others use for more expensive ones.
However, you’ll still get the problem of goose feathers poking through the cover. This is not a problem with the brand, but with feather beds in general. Regardless of how you sleep, these feathers will find its way through with the quill end getting out. You can put thick blankets or a mattress cover over it and that should keep the feathers from poking you while you sleep.
- Sleep & Beyond 60 by 80-Inch Organic Merino Wool Mattress Topper. This is only a 1.5-inch thick , yet it has earned a more than respectable 4.5-star average rating on Amazon. It would have been higher, except that some people don’t know how to react to the smell of natural wool.
This is a certified (by organizations such as CERES, GOTS, and USDA) organic merino wool mattress topper. If you’re in any way sensitive to chemicals, this is the answer because it is absolutely chemical-free. It’s also a great way to cover your mattress if you’re allergic to dust mites.
Its main advantage over both synthetic and down products is that it breathes much more naturally. This means it helps regulate your body temperature through the night. If it’s warm, it cools you up, and if the night is cold then it will give you warmth. For those who live in places where the temperature can be a hurdle to having a night of high-quality sleep, this mattress topper is a great buy.
It even helps slow down your pulse rate so you can sleep more deeply. The material is also quite durable, so with proper maintenance it can last for decades instead of just years.
Of course, if it’s used by urban dwellers then the natural organic smell of wool can be problematic. There may be no chemical odor at all, but some simply don’t appreciate the “barnyard smell” that many others don’t find strong or objectionable. You can always cover up the mattress topper with a bed sheet to mask the smell, however.
- Memory Foam Solutions 3-Inch Thick 4-Pound Density Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Pad Bed Topper. Are you impressed by space-age technology? Then you’re going to love the visco-elastic memory foam. It was developed by NASA engineers and it’s only recently that the price became a lot of more affordable. This is one of the most popular makes and models on Amazon with almost 4,000 reviews, and it even managed a 4.1-star average rating. (Also, the list price on Amazon is listed at $940, but now it’s for sale for just $183.)
This type of memory foam was developed at first to help astronauts manage the extreme G-force pressure during a shuttle takeoff. It was then found to help medical patients who had to spend many hours lying in their beds. Nowadays, regular folks like you and me can use them simply to get the high-quality sleep we need.
The unique property of this visco-elastic memory foam is that it reacts to the temperature. So when you lay yourself down, your body heat causes the memory foam to adjust itself to your body shape. The 3-inch thickness is fine enough for average people. Small Asian women may want so save some money by getting a 2-inch model, but buff weightlifters will need a 4-inch mattress topper for greater comfort and support.
This is also an ideal purchase if you’re concerned about compliance with proper manufacturing processes. It’s made in the US and it meets all CSPC and EPA standards. It doesn’t use any harmful chemicals that can harm you or cause harm to the ozone layer.
The one tiny problem here is the smell, which the manufacturer actually warns about. It can last for a few days or even for a couple of weeks. It the smell is too bothersome for you, you’re advised to air out your room and to wash your sheets after a few nights.
- Best Price Mattress 4-Inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper. You want a cheaper memory foam mattress? Get one that’s not that thick. Here you just get a 1.5-inch memory foam layer, and you get high density foam for the rest of the 2.5 inches. It seems to be a good formula, as on Amazon it has merited an average rating of 4.5 stars based on more than 400 reviews.
The memory foam on this is of high quality, so there’s no “memory hole” to worry about. It just lets your body weight lay down properly with all the support it needs so you get your proper rest. Even those who were heavyset and who were worried about their weight found out that they didn’t have to worry at all.
The price may worry some people as too cheap ($156.22 on Amazon) and that may cause you to think that the material is cheap as well. Many had the same concerns on Amazon and for the most part they were pleasantly surprised.
Of course, there’s the smell. At least the memory foam is just 1.5 inches thick, so it shouldn’t last for more than a week. Some said that it only lasted a day. And others even said that it wasn’t smelly to begin with, although I suspect that they’re just not that sensitive to the smell.
- Lucid 4-Inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper. Now we’re back to a 100% memory foam mattress topper. But the price is also quite low, which is actually one of the factors we considered when we put together this nifty little list. From the original list price of $520, it’s now down to $170 on Amazon for the King-size version. It’s available for 7 different mattress sizes, so you should be able to get the size you need.
It comes with a 3-year warranty, and reviewers who have updated their reviews after a year have noted that it hasn’t changed shape after all that time. So it’s definitely durable, and that should help you save a few bucks. You won’t have to buy a new mattress (or a new topper) anytime soon.
And what’s more, they also reported an entire year of freedom from morning joint pain, which for all of us is definitely a plus. But just about everyone compliments the cushy comfort it provides. There’s no pressure discomfort, and you won’t toss and turn at night finding the right position.
And again we come to the smell. It’s the familiar refrain when it comes to memory foam, but this should serve to temper your expectations. But one reviewer did mention that she had a sensitive sense of smell, and when she used a mattress cover that smell never bothered her again.
- Sleep Joy 3-Inch ViscO2. It boasts of having breathable memory foam with improved ventilation. In addition, it’s also enhanced with plant-based ingredients. It’s even supposed to be odor-free, and that’s a big deal if you’ve managed to read though this list. Finally, it’s also US-made so you won’t have to worry as much about quality (and import fees).
On Amazon, it has earned an average rating of 4.3 stars and all of the 10 most recent reviews gave it the full 5 stars. Just about everyone commented on the much improved sleep they began to get after buying this model. They said if you have a mediocre mattress, this will turn it into the best mattress ever or words to that effect.
But then some have problems with the density of this model. This is especially true for a handful whose have serious back pain issues, who reported that this model’s density is inadequate for their needs. But for those who don’t have serious medical issues, then this should suffice. It will give you a restful night’s rest, especially when you consider that you don’t have to pay through the nose for it!
- Lucid 2.5-Inch Gel-Infused Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper. Buying this also gets you the removable bamboo cover, all for a nice price of $200 on Amazon. It also comes with a 3-year warranty.
There’s a lot to be said about its solid features that should really help you to sleep through the night. The memory foam distributes your body heat through the mattress, and that’s help you through the muggy summer season. This also allows for greater airflow for improved ventilation.
Of course, the memory foam itself reacts quickly to your body weight, so you get a nice matching shape on your mattress cover. Your neck, shoulder, and back get all the support they need at night, so you wake up in the morning without any body ache problems.
The 2.5-inch thickness may seem inadequate at first, especially when you first get it. But it will expand to its proper thickness in just a couple of hours, and after that it will be fine. The memory foam does well in providing comfort afterwards, and the bamboo cover even adds to the coolness at night.
Some of the reviewers did attest to a slight odor problem, but the instructions that come with the mattress cover also provides you with instruction on how to deal with this issue. You’ll first need to air it out for a few days, and you’ll be fine.
A Quick Recap of the Mattress Topper Materials
So let’s take sum up what we’ve learned about all the different materials used in their manufacture:
- Memory Foam. This is a synthetic material that reacts to your weight as well as to your body heat. For those with morning ache issues, this is a great option. It conforms to your body shape well, so that you have enough support throughout your frame. It also works well when you have someone else beside you in bed, as movements are not transmitted throughout the foam. This will truly give you a good night’s rest.
However, this is true as long as you can stand its smell at first. But after a couple of weeks at the most, this problem should dissipate. The price is also an issue, which is why we made sure to find affordable ones for our list.
- Latex. Unlike memory foam, this can be made from more natural materials. With the right manufacturer, you’ll get ample support as well. Essentially, you get all the benefits of memory foam when it comes to support and comfort. It won’t even sag or flatten out.
But you can also get a lot more. If the smell or the memory foam material isn’t for your sensitive nose or skin, then this is your best alternative. It’s even cooler than memory foam, which is a big plus during the summer months.
The main sticking point is the price. We were unable to find a good one that costs less than $240 on Amazon, and that’s the Ultimate Sleep. The Dreamfoam costs more than $400.
- Goose down and feather. This can be very soft, and none one’s really saying otherwise. It’s always an option you should consider when you made the mistake of buying a bed mattress that’s too firm. With a mattress cover like this, the softy cushy feeling can be heavenly. It’s like sleeping on a cloud. And you’ll also sleep better knowing that you didn’t spend all that much.
But feathers aren’t always soft, and the quill part is the main sticking point, if you’ll pardon the pun. Quite a few complain that the softness and cushy feeling are all forgotten when you have sharp ends of the feathers sticking you every time you lie down. This can be very annoying indeed.
Of course, it doesn’t take Stephen Hawking to figure out the solution. You have sharp points poking at you? Cover them with a mattress cover. While this may seem like an additional expense (which, in hindsight, is actually true), it’s a worthwhile investment. You’ll get the soft cushy bed without the poking.
- Natural wool. A thick mattress topper made from soft natural wool also works well. After all, it worked for the sheep, right? It offers a nice soft cushion, and you get the right temperature for sleeping for the whole year. If you’re not enamored of sleeping on chemicals or synthetic materials, this is the one for you.
But you have to understand that natural wool has a natural smell as well. So if you hate the smell of a farm (which does disappear after a while as most people reported), then you won’t find it as alluring.
Take your pick!
Things to Consider Before Buying a Topper
So how do you really pick the right one? Here are the 4 absolutely important factors you need to keep in mind.
- Price. Not all of us have oodles of cash. This is especially true if you’re a simple student in a dorm who wants to sleep better at night since you don’t even get enough sleep as it is. In addition, many of us who buy them don’t have the money to spend on a brand new mattress to begin with. Buying a mattress topper is supposed to be the more affordable alternative.
But you also need to consider cost-effectiveness. Meaning, buying a really cheap one that doesn’t last or won’t give you the comfort you need will make you buy another one, is simply a waste of money.
- Size. Essentially, you have to find out if the mattress cover you want to buy is available in the same size as your current mattress. If it’s only available in Twin size, then that’s not the best option for your King-sized bed. It’s like buying shoes—the right fit matters.
- Comfort level. This is a catchall factor that combines material, odor, softness, thickness, density, ventilation, and whatever else helps you to sleep at night. You can read the reviews to find out how others find it, but this doesn’t guarantee that you’ll find it as comfortable as others do. It does, however, make it more likely that you’ll find it comfy and to your liking. So pay attention to the reviews written by reviewers with the same size and weight as you do. See if they mention where they live, so that you can gauge the temperature settings of the mattress toppers more accurately.
- Return policy. Ultimately, you will have to order one and then try it out for a week or so to see if you find it comfortable. Did you wake up with any aches? Return it of you did. You can’t stand the smell even after two weeks? If so, send it back pronto! This is the piece of furniture in your home that you spend the most time on, so you need time to evaluate it fully.
And that means you need to know how long you have before you can return it. Check the terms and conditions for getting a refund, and see if you’ll have to spend money to return it. If you can’t return it, don’t buy it!
Sometimes the best way to find the right mattress topper is to know a lot of people well enough that you can check out which one they use. As much as possible, try it out first before you buy it, so you won’t have to keep returning toppers until you find the right one for you.
Just don’t settle for something that’s “okay”. Choose one that truly feels heavenly, and we can guarantee you’ll feel much better every morning for several years to come.